Cohen & Sinowski, P.C. is here to make getting the compensation you deserve a painless process. To help streamline everything, here are a few frequently asked questions to get you started.

What Should I Do If I’m Involved in a Car Accident?

Call 911. Whether there are injuries or not, it is important to file a police report. Document the entire situation, take photographs, make sure to get all information from the other parties, and never admit fault.

Is It True That If I Rear-End a Car That I’m at Fault?

The answer to this will almost always be yes. You should be driving a safe distance behind other vehicles, so if they stop suddenly, you are able to avoid a collision.

How Long Will It Take to Get Money in My Case?

It varies by case however, typically clients will receive compensation within 60 days after all the medical bills are received. If the case has to go to court, in extreme cases, getting to court for a motor vehicle collision case can take between two and three years.

I Didn’t Go to the Doctor Right Away, but Now I’m in Pain. What Do I Do?

You should always see a doctor immediately after an accident, even if you are not experiencing pain at the time. If you begin experiencing pain, visit a doctor as soon as possible. Make sure to document your pain, the moment you noticed it, and when you went to the doctor. Keeping a pain diary can be extremely helpful.

Do I Need an Attorney?

It is always in your best interest to consult with an attorney after your accident at the very least.

Do You Work with Doctors Who Wait for Settlements to Be Paid?

Yes. Virtually all doctors we work with will treat on a lien, which is an agreement to withhold payment until the case settles. Most clients choose this option as they don’t want to pay for co-pays or deductibles and do not have to wait to be pre-approved by health insurance companies for treatment.

Will My Health Insurance Company Pay for My Medical Bills While I Wait to Go to Trial?

It depends on the policy, but most of the time, yes. You will still have to pay deductibles and co-pays, and virtually all health insurance contracts require repayment out of the settlement proceeds. Because of the upfront cost and reimbursement potential, most clients choose to treat with doctors who will wait for the case to settle for payment, which does not require an upfront cost.

Will Medicare or Medicaid Pay for Treatment?

It depends on the provider. Under Medicare, the health care provider has the choice to either file a lien against your claim or bill Medicare. Under Medicaid rules, if the provider knows that the treatment is related to an injury claim, then they cannot bill Medicaid unless the claim is denied. If either Medicaid or Medicare makes any payments for your treatment, under State and Federal Law, they have to be paid back out of your claim proceeds.

What is the Statute of Limitations for Accidents?

Each state’s statute of limitations is different, so it’s important to know the laws in your state. In Georgia, the statute of limitations for personal injury is two years from the day of the accident. Even if you weren’t aware of the injuries until a year and a half later, you still only have six months left of the statute of limitations before it can no longer be heard in court.

These limitations are why we recommend that all victims of an accident seek medical attention as soon as possible. If immediate attention is not possible, it’s important to see a medical doctor as soon as you can, preferably within 72 hours of the accident.

How Am I Supposed to Get Back and Forth While My Car Is in the Shop?

You actually receive a rental car from the at fault person’s policy. If the at fault person’s insurance is taking too long, then you may have to rely on your own insurance policies. It’s important to have full coverage in case the at fault person’s insurance attempts to deny liability.

I Can’t Work; Can I File for Unemployment Even Though Litigation Is Still Pending?

Yes. You can also seek Lost Wages for the time you missed at work due to your injuries. However, if you can work, it is in your best interest to do so. Lost Wages require that you have a doctor’s excuse and are able to prove damages.

My Car Hit a Pothole; Who Is Responsible?

Because the streets are maintained by local government, the city will usually be held liable for damages caused to your car by potholes.

How Much Money Can I Expect to Get in a Settlement?

Each case is entirely different, and the amount you may be eligible to receive in compensation depends on the damages and injuries sustained. Each award is directly related to the medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, venue, property damage, accident history, legitimacy of treatment, subrogation interests, insurance coverages and limits of policy coverage.

I’ve Heard the Attorney Gets Most of the Money. Is That True?

We’re the only Georgia law firm that offers a Smaller Fee Guarantee. If you get treated by a provider in our medical network and your case is settled, we’ll reduce our fee to make sure you get more cash than us.

It’s your injury, and you should get the majority of the money. Don’t overpay other law firms.

Should I Settle or Go to Court?

This varies from case to case, and person to person. It’s important to understand that going to trial can take years, but many times, the judgment in court will award you a larger amount than a settlement will.

The Other Driver’s Insurance Company Offered Me Money. I Haven’t Even Hired an Attorney, but I Could Really Use the Cash. Should I Take It?

No. Tell the insurance company that you’ll get back to them, and then, contact an attorney immediately. Insurance companies will often offer a minimal amount of money in return for your signature stating that you won’t sue them. Never take an insurance check without first consulting an attorney.

What Type of Cases Does Cohen & Sinowski Take?

Cohen & Sinowski handles everything from automobile accidents — rear-end collisions, T-bone accidents, front-end collisions, DUI, hit and run, reckless driving, distracted driving, diminished value, too fast for conditions — to personal injury, dog bites, truck accidents, motorcycle accidents, bicycle accidents, and pedestrian accidents.

How Much Money Does It Cost to Hire an Attorney?

The attorneys at Cohen & Sinowski, P.C. work on what is called a contingency fee. This means that there are no upfront payments required, and they get paid a percentage if the case settles or there is a judgment. If the case doesn’t settle or receive a judgment, then you don’t owe the firm any fees. We like to call it our “No Fee Unless You Win Guarantee!”

What our Clients are Saying

“Very good person and keep you informed about your case all the way. He walked me thru the whole process from start to finish. I love the whole firm from the receptionist to the attorney. They are some very good people. Yes, I will recommend them to others.”
- Tanya
“Great law firm! While being under the lawful care of Thomas Sinowski, me and my daughter was taking care of in the most professional way. Thomas Sinowski and his team [were] always on top of the case and got us the settlement we deserved. I would definitely recommend this law firm to anyone."
- Richard
"I have worked with [Mr.] Sinowski on several cases. He is highly professional. prompt and courteous. He always returns my calls and gives his total attention when we are discussing a case. His no nonsense approach to a case gets the job done. I really appreciate that he is thorough and determined to put our clients best interest in mind."
- Anonymous